Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Lifeforce (1985)



I cannot begin to explain the many ways that I loathe this movie but starting with the asinine space alien vampire of doom plot will suffice. Two words best sums it up: fuck me. And by that I mean FUCK YOU!

The insufferably bad storyline is oddly salvaged by a cast of respectable actors (I think I even saw Patrick Stewart in a few spots) and a few decent concepts and scenes. It doesn't hurt either that there are several segments of female nudity featuring a statuesque woman who is nearly flawless. Of course, most internet droolers mistake nudity for a brief  segue into sexuality but a true aesthetic knows better. Beauty in the human body is no different than the splendor of nature but the brain tends to overstimulate with the familiar because of the over-riding biological imperative. If one is strong enough mentally he can see past sucking sounds, fleshly protruberances, holes and excretions of fluid to see that beauty is its own standard bearer and life force.

Another gripe of mine is the lack of blood-sucking. In fact, an hour into this movie I don't believe that I have seen a single instance of it. Mostly just some banal occasions for inferring mind control by the creatures and a few ungratifying sexual situations that are merely showcases for unnecessary nudity. I could have said the same of Female Vampire but having seen several versions of that flick and its outtakes, the blood was there depending on the director's belief in geographical proclivities. That is, some versions had it while others didn't. The ones with bloodletting were far more pleasing.

Anyway, this movie is devolving into typical sci-fi drudgery and save for the fact that I had a three hour nap earlier I would have fallen asleep several times at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment