Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Satanic Rites Of Dracula (1973)


I've purposely avoided many of the Hammer films starring Christopher Lee because some chick once told me that he was the hottest vampire ever. Which, I'm sure, a thousand girls have said about dozens of other vampires, but it seemed like something that would slant my view of him as Dracula.

It did but in the exact opposite direction because he seems older in this film than what I imagined he should look like. Anyway, to me, the first half of this flick seems like a strange melange of a James Bon film and typical Hammer vamp cinema. Like an extended episode of Dark Shadows shot for quality and not quantity.

Yeah, I said it, it's a horror mystery. Which I suppose they all are but I mean both genres. Either way it works. Cushing is his normal excellent self and Lee is okay, I suppose, but nothing spectacular in the way he was built up to be by a slobbering sister of doom.

No comments:

Post a Comment